Google is Creating a New Cloud Platform Region in TorontoRead more
Tektonic Provides Data Security Solutions For Toronto Law Firms
Law firms in Toronto are incredibly fast-paced entities. Between filing paperwork, meeting deadlines, communicating with clients, and handling case management, legal professionals don’t have the time to be worrying about tedious IT challenges like infected devices or vulnerable network systems. That’s why we’ve created a fool-proof guide to help educate Toronto law professionals about the threats they’re up against and the strategies they can deploy to address them.
Everything Your Toronto Law Firm Should Know About Cybersecurity
Information security solutions that legal professionals should be aware of
Data security has recently come to the forefront of concerns for law firms of all shapes and sizes. Law firms access, transmit and store a variety of highly sensitive forms of data on a daily basis. Strategic network security solutions have made it easier than ever for legal professionals to streamline information access and sharing. However, with this increased efficiency comes increased risk. Without a proactive and deliberate information security plan in place, law firms are left vulnerable to an increasingly hostile and unpredictable cyber climate.
Leading Information Security Threats That Legal Firms Are Up Against
We hear from legal professionals all the time who are worried about data security at their firms. While they know they’re probably not as secure as they should be, they often don’t have a clear idea of how their data is at risk and what threats exist. So, we’ve created a list of the top four most common information security challenges that leave law firms like yours more vulnerable.
Here’s the top threats that have the potential to impact Toronto law firms:
- Unauthorized external access to private and confidential case data
- Improper use and transmission of firm and case data by employees
- Overall system failures and crashes due to natural disasters or cyber attacks
- Penalties for non-compliance with industry information security regulations
Closing the Gap: Strategic IT Security Solutions for Toronto Law Firms
Now that we have an idea of what kind of information security threats leave law firms open to increased risk, let’s talk about how your firm can address them head-on. The key is all about closing the gap – patching the vulnerable spots that increase your firm’s chance of experiencing a data security disaster. We’ve put together a quick reference guide for developing an information security strategy that covers your firm from end-to-end.
Here’s a comprehensive list of the key IT security solutions that your law firm should be prioritizing:
- Take an inventory of your firm’s IT resources – Start by accounting for all the IT resources your law firm relies on regularly. Make sure to take note of all hardware and software that every member of your team uses. This could include on-site devices and software applications, mobile devices, communication tools, and more. You’ll only be able to strategically lock down your information network once you’ve accounted for all its moving pieces.
- Develop an ‘all-hands-on-deck’ approach to firm cybersecurity – Talk about information security with your team and establish an ‘open door policy’. By including your team in conversations about information security you’ll be emphasizing the critical importance of the issue and you’ll be making it clear that employees can come to you with specific concerns.
- Get hardline policies and procedures on paper – This may seem tedious, but it’s critical to get concrete information security policies and procedures on paper. Make them clear, easy to understand, and easily accessible for all members of your team. This will once again stress the importance of maintaining the highest cybersecurity standards and will also serve as a great reference guide in the face of a data disaster.
- Don’t forget about third-party vendors or service providers – Law firms are in contact with countless third-party vendors and service providers on a daily basis. You must not forget these interactions when working to improve your information security effort. Talk directly with vendors and service providers about their own cybersecurity policies and make sure everyone is on the same page about maintaining secure data transmission.
- Train your team – The reality is, most data disasters happen as a result of internal team members. This means that in order to mitigate the risk that your own employees pose, you must train them about emerging cybersecurity threats. Invest in cybersecurity training software that will help your team learn how to identify threats and respond to them efficiently.
- Put together a long-term security plan – Unfortunately, information security for law firms isn’t a one-off job. Keeping your network secure will require regular attention and strategy. Make long-term network and information security planning a priority and be sure to account for how things might change so that your security effort can adapt efficiently.
Finding the Right Cyber Security Services for Toronto Law Firms
Now that we’ve emphasized why and how your law firm should prioritize information security, the only thing left for you to do is get started. However, even with all the details we’ve outlined in this guide, you may be feeling a bit overwhelmed or unsure of where to start. Don’t sweat it – we’ve got a suggestion for that too.
The biggest piece of advice we can give is to partner with a professional service provider who specializes in providing cybersecurity services for Toronto law firms. By teaming up with a professional provider, you’ll be going a long way in terms of laying down a strong cybersecurity foundation. Even better? The right IT support partner will be able to help you from end-to-end, including initial consultation, long-term security planning, and everything in between.
If your Toronto law firm is trying to get on top of cybersecurity, don’t hesitate to reach out to the team of IT professionals at Tektonic Managed Services. Our team will help your firm deploy and optimize strategic security solutions that are designed to support case management and compliance. We also have the expertise required to be your strategic IT security consultant for the long haul.
Don’t wait for a data disaster to hit your firm. Contact the Tektonic Managed Services team at (416) 256-9928 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We welcome all your IT security questions and we’ll work alongside your firm to develop a sustainable and strategic network security solution.