- WRITTEN BY Jorge Rojas POSTED ON February 8,2013
“There are only 2 types of computers in the world: Those that waste your precious time and those that waste your precious time faster”-Jerry Seinfeld. Believe it or not, Mr. Seinfeld is a bit of a time management expert; he has devised a time-saving productivity method that is simple, effective, and does not require a time-wasting computer.
The Seinfeld Productivity Calendar
Like Kramer’s polyester shirts, Jerry Seinfeld’s productivity method is old fashioned. It is essentially a calendar that you use to track your goals. This may seem almost too simple in light of all the productivity apps available for your mobile device, but sometimes the simple way is the best way. Here is what you will need to make your own Seinfeld Productivity Calendar.
- Goals: Pick a handful of your biggest goals; do not use more than three. For this calendar, you will want to pick out goals that require daily attention. If you are having a hard time coming up with life goals, then we recommend that you watch more Seinfeld.
- Daily Minimums: You will also want to note how much of your daily time and energy that it will take to achieve your goals. For example, if your goal is to exercise every day by swimming in the Hudson River, then you will want to set aside the time needed each morning to do it.
- Calendar: You will want to buy a big calendar to put on your wall that, like a Kenny Rogers Roaster restaurant sign, is hard to miss.
- Marker: A marker the size of Kramer’s cigar will work perfectly.
The X Factor
With your Seinfeld Productivity Calendar displayed prominently on your wall, you will now track your progress by putting a big fat X through every day that you achieve your goals. Every time that you cross out a date, be sure to picture Jerry Seinfeld in a puffy pirate shirt saying, “X marks the spot–not that there’s anything wrong with that.”
After working hard to achieve your daily goals, crossing off a day with a big X will feel very satisfying. As more big X‘s begin to line up one after another, you will begin to feel a strong sense of accomplishment. This sense of achievement will provide you with the motivation needed to push through and work on your goals, even when you don’t feel like it because you are sick enough to vomit after eating a black-and-white cookie. You will be proud of your long chain of big X’s and not want to take a single day off for fear of breaking the chain.
The Seinfeld Productivity Calendar can provide you with the framework and motivation to tackle your big goals. The calendar’s simplicity also provides a lot of room for customization. For additional motivation, you can complement your calendar with technology. If you travel a lot and are unable to benefit from a big calendar, then there is a $0.99 app for iOS called Wonderful Day that utilizes the very same goal-setting principles that are used by Seinfeld’s calendar.
If you are looking for motivation to tackle your goals, then give the Seinfeld Productivity Calendar a try. It is free, easy, and simple, so you really have nothing to lose. If you have used it before, or know of any other helpful productivity methods, then feel free to share them with us in the comments!
Tektonic Managed Services is an IT Support and Computer Services company serving Toronto GTA. We provide services in and around Toronto, including York Region, Durham Region and Peel Region. Businesses like yours need technology support to run highly-effective organizations. Leverage pro-growth technology services for your company now!