Does Your IT Cybersecurity Include Two Factor Authentication?
Your IT cybersecurity should manage your login security – but are you only protected by your password? You should have more than one layer of protection. You should have Two-Factor Authentication.
Practically every day, we hear about people whose Gmail, Facebook, YouTube, or Twitter passwords have been broken into.
Just last year a report showed that 86% of more than 2 million breached passwords were identical to passwords that had already been breached. The top 10 most common and repeatedly breached passwords in this report include:
The question is – are any of the above one of your passwords? Even if they’re not, are you making a similar error with any of your passwords?
Cybercrime Is On The Rise – IT Cybersecurity Means More Than Passwords
4IQ published a report this year that lists a number of alarming statistics about how cybercrime is becoming more and more common:
- There were 12,499 confirmed data breaches in 2018 – a 424% increase when compared to 2017.
- The average breach compromised 216,884 records.
- 14.9 billion stolen identity records were exchanged by cybercriminals online.
How Can You Enhance Your IT Cybersecurity?
The simplest way to enhance the protections you have for your logins is with two-factor authentication.
Two-factor authentication is a great way to add an extra layer of protection to the existing system and account logins. 45% of polled businesses began using MFA in 2018, compared to 25% the year prior.
By requiring a second piece of information like a randomly-generated numerical code sent by text message, you’re better able to ensure that the person using your employee’s login credentials is actually who they say they are. Biometrics like fingerprints, voice, or even iris scans are also options, as are physical objects like keycards.
Tektonic uses Duo for our clients’ two-factor authentication, delivering a range of great features:
- Mobile Convenience: Duo Mobile keeps your staff secure on the go, verifying identities of your users quickly and easily with push-based notifications to help protect against phishing and other identity-based attacks.
- Wide Range Of Authentication Methods: Duo offers methods for verification that fit your business’ needs, whether it’s temporary access to get approval on a sensitive document, or limited access to let a client have a look at precisely the files you want them to.
- Robust User Access Policies: You can set simple, contextual user access policies that will follow adaptive authentication, providing you with the ability to exercise more control over those who are given access to your applications.
In the end, managing a strict password policy, creating strong passwords, and using password managers can be frustrating, but it’s incredibly important.
If you’re still worried about your password security, especially when it comes to policies in place at your business, then don’t try to handle it all on your own. The Tektonic team will help you evaluate your password practices and security measures as a whole to make sure you’re taking on any unnecessary risks.
Privacy and security are major concerns for personal users and businesses alike these days, and so you have to be sure that you aren’t making it easy for hackers to access you or your business’ private data.
Tektonic Managed Services is an IT Support and Computer Services company serving Toronto GTA. We provide services in and around Toronto, including York Region, Durham Region and Peel Region. Businesses like yours need technology support to run highly-effective organizations. Leverage pro-growth technology services for your company now!