- WRITTEN BY Jorge Rojas POSTED ON June 29,2016
Cybersecurity for business contains many complexities that are often difficult to keep track of. If your organization takes a proactive approach to understanding and implementing cybersecurity best practices, you can dramatically increase the security of your organization’s network.
Here are four great ways that your business can implement best practices to optimize security.
- Change passwords regularly: Your employees need to change their passwords on a regular basis. This helps to maximize the security of both your end-user’s workstation and your network as a whole, though emphasis on administrator credentials should be a major focus. Make sure that your passwords are updated regularly, and are following best practices. They should always be long and complex strings of random characters, utilizing upper and lower-case letters, numbers, and symbols. If managing these passwords becomes too challenging, you can implement an enterprise-level password management software.
- Keep your software solutions up to date: Software solutions are one of the major components of your business, but if you’re not keeping them updated with the latest patches and security updates, you could be putting your business at risk. This means keeping an eye on the status of your Microsoft solutions, like your Office productivity suite, and the operating systems of your servers and workstations. If you’re having trouble keeping up with patches and security updates, Tektonic can do this for you remotely with our remote management and maintenance solution.
- Use two-factor authentication: Two-factor authentication is a rising power in cybersecurity. It adds an additional layer of security to your accounts, which often require the hacker to have access to your smartphone or an alternative email address. This makes it more difficult for hackers to crack accounts. Two-factor authentication tactics include, but aren’t limited to: biometrics, smartphone integration, location verification, and more.
- Have preventative measures put in place: Your primary goal should be to prevent viruses and malware from getting into your infrastructure in the first place, not reacting to data breaches after the fact. This means implementing solutions that are designed to detect and prevent potential data breaches, like enterprise-level security firewalls and antivirus systems. Consumer-grade products aren’t going to cut it for your business, especially if the hacker targeting you is determined to get what they want.
If your business is ready to take its security seriously, Tektonic provides several enterprise-level security solutions for small and medium-sized businesses just like yours. We can equip your business with a firewall, antivirus, spam blocker, and content filter, all for an affordable rate. To learn more, give us a call at (416) 256-9928.
Tektonic Managed Services is an IT Support and Computer Services company serving Toronto GTA. We provide services in and around Toronto, including York Region, Durham Region and Peel Region. Businesses like yours need technology support to run highly-effective organizations. Leverage pro-growth technology services for your company now!