Your Uncertified Friend Is Not a Professional
If you’re a small or new business, it’s common to look for ways to keep costs to a minimum. Maybe it’s using personally owned and provided resources to avoid buying them new for the business; or maybe it’s having a friend handle a task here and there at a discounted rate, in exchange for contra or something similar.
One of the most common ways that new and businesses in Toronto limit expenses are with their IT services. When they’re just starting out, it can seem untenable to pay for fully managed IT support from a third party.
While relying on unofficial IT support is undoubtedly cost-effective, it’s unlikely to deliver the quality of service and level of responsiveness that a growing business needs.
The question is – have you grown to the point where your “IT guy” can no longer meet your needs?
What Do Unprofessional IT Services In Toronto Look Like?
We recently had a company get in touch with us that was looking for more capable and professional Toronto IT services. They had had their friend managing their IT for some time and had begun to notice some chronic issues with their IT.
We came in to take a look and assess their IT systems, and what we found was not pretty:
- Bootleg software: The friend had installed illegally downloaded software, which put them at risk. Not only can downloading software infect you with malware, but it comes with a number of other ongoing security and functionality problems. Bootleg software doesn’t receive support patches from the vendor, which means it doesn’t work properly, and it’s vulnerable to exploits.
- Poor functionality: Beyond the illegal software, everything else was a mess. The cabling wasn’t managed properly, patches and updates weren’t being applied, and other ongoing maintenance tasks were being ignored. The end result is that nothing really worked the way it should.
It’s for these reasons that the company in question called Tektonic. We may be more expensive than some friend that “knows computers”, but that’s for good reason. We can deliver IT services properly so that everything is working properly, and not exposing the client to any risk.
3 Signs Your Friend Shouldn’t Be Handling Your IT Services
- You Can’t Work: Whether it’s a slow server that won’t let you access shared company files or a buggy email client that leaves you unsure whether your messages are actually being sent when your computers aren’t working, you’re not working.
- It’s Affecting Customer Satisfaction: If you can’t work as quickly or as effectively as you should be, it’s only a matter of time before that affects your customers’ experience.
- You’re Paying For Short-Term Fixes: Poorly maintained computers will often need quick fixes. The problem is that while the hardware may work when you get it back from them, there’s no guarantee it’ll last for long.
Whether you’re trusting a friend for your IT, or an entire company, you have to make sure you’re getting what you deserve. You need to do your homework before signing on the dotted line with an IT company.
It’s critical to make sure they can do everything you need them to, that you know how much you’ll be paying, what’s included, and what the terms of the contract are. That way, you can identify obstacles while you’re still in a position to negotiate or find different IT services in Toronto to work with.
Tektonic Managed Services is an IT Support and Computer Services company serving Toronto GTA. We provide services in and around Toronto, including York Region, Durham Region and Peel Region. Businesses like yours need technology support to run highly-effective organizations. Leverage pro-growth technology services for your company now!