- WRITTEN BY Jorge Rojas POSTED ON November 29,2020
What is Mobile Device Management and How Can It Help Golf and Country Clubs?
Golf and country club workers handle sensitive information on a daily basis on their laptops or smartphones. What happens when their devices get stolen or lost? How can MDM help protect your data from getting stolen?
There’s no denying it.
Smartphones are taking over.
According to Statista, the number of smartphone users in the US is estimated to be about 275.66 million. This means more than 84% of the population in the country own and use a smartphone. This means that 4 out of every 5 people you meet every day own a smartphone.
This is not surprising though.
In the past, people who had phones were the ones that needed to communicate with other people. Nowadays, almost everybody has a phone because your phone can do more than just make calls or text.
In a survey conducted by Deloitte, they found out the following:
- 57% get the news from their phone
- 45% listen to music on their phone
- 31% use their phone to watch movies
- 29% use their phone as their digital wallet.
If you own or operate a golf and country club, there’s a big chance that your workers use smartphones as well. Question is, how do your workers use their phones? It’s fine if they just use it for personal stuff but a lot of businesses nowadays allow workers to use their phones for work-related stuff.
While that does save your business a couple grand, how safe is it? When your workers use their own phones to handle customer information or other sensitive information, how sure are you that they will not be compromised? Now that cybersecurity is a big issue, how can you confidently say to your customers that their data is safe?
These are the exact questions MDM or mobile device management can answer for golf and country clubs. Mobile device management provides a means for businesses to protect and safeguard customer information in the event that a device gets lost or stolen.
But what is mobile device management and how can it help your golf and country club to provide a better service to their patrons?
What is Mobile Device Management?
Mobile device management is a term used to refer to the control or administration of mobile devices such as smartphones and laptops. The level of administration can range anywhere from monitoring, access, and security.
The goal of MDM is to provide businesses with a way to control devices being used by their workers especially when they handle sensitive information.
In the past, you had to provide a worker with a work-issued device with pre-loaded applications and settings so you can manage it. While this worked, its biggest weakness was the fact that it became expensive when you had a number of people that needed devices.
Nowadays, more workers are using their own laptops and phones at work. MDM has also evolved into a client-server setup where the phone will receive policies, configurations, and apps over-the-air. This saves the business a lot of money as it uses existing personal devices but with the same level of protection.
Why is Mobile Device Management Important?
It’s hard to talk about the importance of mobile device management without looking at the numbers. So let’s try to have a rundown first before we continue.
- Every 53 seconds, a laptop gets stolen.
- In just a year, over 70 million smartphones are getting stolen.
- 80% of the cost of a lost laptop is the stolen information it contains
- More than 50% of devices that are stolen are from the workplace.
All of these numbers are from a survey conducted by Kensington. It just shows that while losing a device stings, the cost of lost data hurts even more. If you are a business that handles sensitive business or customer information, the cost can even be greater. Just imagine losing a laptop that contains or has access to your customer’s billing details. Not only will it be a financial problem, but the hassle it will cause your patrons will make you lose clients.
Cybersecurity in general is not just a concern for big businesses. According to SmallBizTrends, small businesses are the targets of 43% of cyber-attacks. This becomes even more depressing as only 14% of smaller businesses believe they can protect themselves from cyber-attacks. While golf and country clubs often have only a couple of people that handle the important data, they are still prime targets for criminals.
How Can Mobile Device Management Help Golf and Country Clubs?
There are many ways MDM can protect your company’s and your customer’s data. Here are a couple of situations that come to mind.
- Device Loss or Theft – Whenever a device that is used to access or contain sensitive data is lost or stolen, there’s a chance that the perpetrator can also steal the data. With MDM, you can track a lost device or remotely wipe it of any information that criminals may have interest in.
- Bad Wireless Security – It’s not uncommon for cybercriminals to access one’s device through a public wi-fi hotspot. When a device connects to a network with poor security, this opens a two-way door where a cyber thief can go in and steal information from one’s device. MDM can prevent such intrusions and can alarm the user if they are about to connect to an unsecure network.
- Poor Device Usage – Not everyone is expected to be an expert with the device they are using. When a user installs a hacked/malicious app or downloads an infected file online, they are putting the data they have on their device in danger. With MDM in play, you will be notified when there is an infected app or file trying to steal your data. It will also allow you to know if the apps are asking for unnecessary permissions with the aim of stealing information.
Mobile Device Management simply puts your business in a position where you have methods in place that can help you protect your data. If you look at the big picture, MDM saves you a whole lot of money from data breaches that may happen in the future. Simply put, MDM is an assurance that in the event something bad happens, you have a strategy to mitigate the damage to your company.
If you are looking for an IT partner that can help you with mobile device management in Toronto then Tektonic Managed Services is a name you can trust. With over 22 years of experience in providing professional IT support in Toronto and nearby areas, Tektonic can provide you with solutions for your mobile device security needs. Reach out to us today and let’s talk about how we can help you secure your business.
How about you? When was the last time you lost a smartphone or laptop? Did you care more about the device or the information it contained? Tell us your story in the comments section below.
Tektonic Managed Services is an IT Support and Computer Services company serving Toronto GTA. We provide services in and around Toronto, including York Region, Durham Region and Peel Region. Businesses like yours need technology support to run highly-effective organizations. Leverage pro-growth technology services for your company now!